Access All Abilities Auskick centre checklist
All Auskick centres are inclusive and accessible to everyone. However, there may be a need to set up an Access All Abilities (AAA) centre. AAA centres are for players with disability and their families who may prefer a centre that has taken steps to provide additional support for young people with disability.
Before promoting your centre as AAA, make sure you have covered the below areas:
- We have used a diverse range of images and videos of people with disability on our website, social media channels and centre newsletters to show we are a welcoming and inclusive centre
- We have completed a venue accessibility audit and understand how we can make our venue more accessible
- We know what type of Disability Inclusion Auskick centre we want to be
- Coaches have completed the AllPlay Footy Online Coaching Course in Inclusion
- We review our Auskick registrations to find who in our group identifies as living with disability
- We provide the opportunity for families to tour our centre and meet our coaches prior to the first session
- We have considered alternative areas within our centre to hold sessions if needed, eg. indoors if the oval is too wet and muddy for young people who use wheelchairs
- We have identified a quiet space within our centre for young people and families to use if needed, and it’s available to access during every Auskick session
- We have visited the disability inclusion pages on play.afl to access resources to support our coaches, coordinators, parents and players
- We have considered we may need one coach/volunteer per player, and have enough volunteers to support the group if we need extra help
- We are committed to displaying each session visually, eg. on a whiteboard, prior to the start of each session
- We have scheduled a time with our Football Regional Manager to show evidence of completing all of the above so our centre can be promoted as AAA
AllPlay Footy is a joint initiative by Monash University and the AFL. AllPlay Footy was founded at Deakin University in 2015 and has been part of Monash Education since 2021. The AllPlay Footy content and resources presented here have been developed with people with lived experience of disability, consultants from National Sporting Organisations for People with Disability, psychologists and researchers, and are brought to you with funding from a Department of Social Services Information, Linkages and Capacity Building: Social and Community Participation Stream (2020-2021) grant. We aim to use language that is respectful to everyone.